Our client is a global real estate investment and development company, headquartered in the Far East. It’s new venture in the UK is focusing on residential and mixed-use development; a large site has been bought with others in the pipeline. A fully functioning office of 30 staff will be in place within 12 to 18 months.
We are looking for a Development Director to head up the construction phase of their developments, working closely with the Investment Director. You will initially work exclusively with external consultants for the first 6 months, while you build a team. and supervise the in-house Development Manager working on the existing project. You will be responsible for exploring new avenues of business, delivering bids and negotiating contracts.
Responsibilities and Duties
The role requires the creation and implementation of sound and adaptable work processes, which will include:
- Assessment of risks and opportunities in the acquisition phase regarding construction cost & planning and the development potential of new sites.
- Preparation of the delivery cost for development appraisal, working with external consultants as necessary, detailing timelines, targets and strategy for each project
- Engaging with initial designers and consultants as part of the planning application phase
- Managing the construction tender process, including the staffing and structuring of contracts, to find the most suitable partners (contractors and consultants) for each project
- Optimisation of the exit values through seeking new innovations and the cost management of site location, M&E solutions, fixtures and finishes
- Managing a team that will be staffed with development managers, in-house architects, quantity surveyors and delivery assistants
Skills and Experience
- Ideally worked at a housebuilder, delivering large scale (over 50 units) low to medium rise developments, for 5 to 10 years
- Managing all aspects of a project from the post planning stage all the way to sale
- A strong leader who has high ambitions and is willing to tackle problems and produce solutions
- Capable of creating the right teams (employed and external) to execute a project
- Good negotiation skills on costs and contract terms, including variations during construction
- Able to communicate and manage information flow with a variety of counterparties
- Detailed knowledge of the construction process: Building Regulations, NHBC Standards etc
- Able to produce and monitor cost schedules and budgets throughout the project life.
- A good understanding of development finance
Contact Louisa Dickins 020 3709 5084 email@example.com