Our client is a leading developer, focused on the residential market. Reporting to Construction Director, the Development Director will be responsible for setting up the initial commercial plan and strategy for new developments of schemes up to 300 flats (construction cost between £1m - £30m). You will also be responsible for exploring new avenues of business, delivering bids and negotiating contracts.
Key responsibilities and main tasks and activities
Implementing and developing robust and bespoke business process across the organization including:
- Accurate assessment of risks and opportunities in acquisition (cost / planning), suitability of new sites for development (must be able to quickly assess condition of existing buildings prior to purchase, identify refurb / development challenges and opportunities for new builds considering planning constrains).
- Prepare the delivery cost for development appraisal (must be able to comment and validate costs provided by external QS consultants). Have the know-how and experience from past projects to develop reasonable timelines specific to each site, considering planning approval constrains and assessment of delivery durations. The Development Director will set targets and strategy to develop each project to our client’s standards, concluded with a written report of suitability of acquisition to make profit.
- Working with Development Managers to engage initial designers and consultants and pro-actively drive the process to develop and submit planning applications (layouts and elevations). Having knowledge and experience with UK rules and regulations for Residential Developers is essential – planning (Article 4, Sec 73, Social Housing, daylighting, encroachment, utilize pre-app applications, etc), party walls, required surveys and assessments.
- Will be responsible for driving the construction tender process, preparation of employee requirements and structuring of JCT contracts at usually tight time frames. The Development Director must be able to read, understand, assess and challenge all aspects of delivery and construction process.
- Must be able to find “your way” to bring to the table suitable bidders for each project - consultants & contractors.
- Be able to assess demographics of project location and choose suitable M&E solutions (e.g. gas or electric heat), finishes and fixtures to cost suitability of scheme at exit values in appraisal.
- Develop strategy and actively seek new commercial opportunities to deliver our client’s product at a cheaper cost by exploring new avenues for supply of goods (direct supply to main contractor directly from domestics and / or international suppliers (kitchens, stone / tile, white goods, etc.)
Key Skills / Experience
- Forming teams (both employed and Consultant) to execute the project both in Construction and Property Development disciplines
- Managing project design team consisting of Architect, Structural Engineer, M&E Consultant, Interior Designer, Fire Engineer, Acoustic Engineer etc.
- Managing communication channels and information flow with numerous counterparties, including the internal sales team and legal team
- Comprehensive range of skills in planning, estimating, buying and project cost control. Site acquisition and appraisals
- Development funding
- Obtaining planning approvals on difficult sites through negotiation with Local Authority, including S106 agreements.
- Negotiation of option agreements for proposed development.
- Production of cash flow statements to ensure that budgets and targets are being monitored and realised
- Use of management accounts to reconcile progress of expected targets of profit and monitor costs. Coordination and leading of Project Design on Design and Build contracts
- Comprehensive knowledge of Building Regulations, NHBC Standards, Lifetime Homes and BREEAM. Comprehensive knowledge of Health and Safety, affiliation with IOSH as a Tech member
- Comprehensive knowledge of M&E, BMS and HVAC and EPOS
- Good IT skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, Project and use of Internet to obtain technical information and communication with others
- Broad knowledge of JCT Contract variations particularly with Contactors Design, Standard, Minor Works, Intermediate and Design and Build
A fuller job specification is available
Contact Louisa Dickins 020 3709 5084 firstname.lastname@example.org